Plano Drug Crime Attorney
Former Prosecutor Representing Those Accused of Drug Offenses
Law Offices of Bill J. Stovall is committed to defending you when you have been charged with any type of drug possession, manufacture, or delivery case in State or Federal court. The laws in both State and Federal Court are severe when dealing with drug offenses, and you need a strong advocate on your side.
Types of Drug Offenses
The Law Offices of Bill J. Stovall successfully handles all levels of drug offenses including, but not limited to:
- Possession of marijuana
- Possession of a dangerous drug
- Fraudulently obtaining a controlled substance
- Possession of controlled substances
- Manufacture and delivery of controlled substances
What are the Penalties for Drug Crimes?
Potential penalties you could face for a drug crime conviction include:
- Substantial fines
- Long-term imprisonment
- A permanent criminal record
- Mandatory drug addiction treatment
- Driver’s license suspension
Whether you have been charged with Possession of Marijuana under 2 ounces or Delivery of a Controlled Substance involving 400 grams or more, now is the time to contact an experienced drug crime attorney in Plano. Bill J. Stovall has the knowledge, skill, and resources to provide you with first-rate representation in defending your freedom.
Drug Penalty Groups in Texas
In Texas, controlled substances are divided into six distinct categories referred to as Penalty Groups. Whether charged for possessing, manufacturing, or delivering illegal drugs, the penalties a person could face for a conviction are based on the type and amount of drugs.
The drug Penalty Groups identified in Chapter 481 of the Texas Health and Safety Code include:
- Penalty Group 1: Includes cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, oxycodone, and gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB). Penalties for drugs in this group can be as low as 180 days to 2 years in jail and a $10,000 fine, and as high as life imprisonment with fines of up to $250,000.
- Penalty Group 1A: Includes LSD and its analogs. Possessing less than 20 units of this kind of substance can be punished by 180 days to two years in jail. Crimes involving more than 4,000 units carry a prison sentence of 15 years to life and a fine of up to $250,000.
- Penalty Group 2: Includes MDMA and phencyclidine (PCP). Less than a gram of this substance in one’s possession can result in 180 days to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine. More than 400 grams is punishable by a prison sentence of 10 years to life and a $100,000 fine.
- Penalty Group 2A: Includes chemical compounds that mimic cannabinoids (commonly known as Spice and K2). Those found with less than one gram of this type of illegal drug can face up to two years in jail and a fine of $10,000. When the amount exceeds 2,000 pounds, it is a first-degree felony punishable by 5 to 99 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.
- Penalty Group 3: Includes drugs like Xanax, Ambien, Ritalin, and Valium. A possession offense involving less than 28 grams is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Manufacturing or delivering more than 400 grams of this category of substance carries a prison sentence of 10 to 99 years and a maximum fine of $100,000.
- Penalty Group 4: Includes a range of chemical compounds containing limited quantities of narcotics and a variety of prescription medications. Possessing less than 28 grams of a Penalty 4 Group substance is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000. Possession of more than 400 grams can lead to a fine of up to $50,000 and 5 to 99 years in prison.
Contact the Law Offices of Bill J. Stovall
If you are facing charges for a drug crime, reach out to Bill Stovall as soon as possible. As a former prosecutor, he has the knowledge and skill to put forth a powerful defense on your behalf to get your charges reduced or dropped.
Call (214) 972-0004 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced drug crime lawyer in Plano.